Your starter comes from the factory one of two ways: new or remanufactured. It can have one of several other names, too -- for example, self-starter, starter motor, or cranking motor. Whatever type of starter your car or truck has, though, how it works isn't particularly complicated: it rotates ("cranks" is another way of putting it) your vehicle's engine using a dedicated starter motor and starter relay. That gets your vehicle running. Remote starters do the same job without a key turn; you simply press a button on a smart key fob. When your starter won't turn at all, however -- or, at least, it won't start your vehicle reliably -- it's usually because it's either going out or it has gone bad already. Luckily, the causes of starter failure are easily spotted. They include:
- Damaged starter parts
- Corroded terminals
- Loose wires
What are the Signs of Starter Problems?
They're fairly obvious, luckily. They include:
- Being unable to start your car at all (even if your dashboard's many lights and displays are lit up)
- Being able to start, but only in this gear or that drive mode
- If you tried jump-starting and nothing happened
- A smoking starter
- A starter covered in an oil slick
In any of these cases, you should probably fix your inertia system. However, it'll be a good idea to do an inspection first to see if starter issues are your issues. How to do that repair is easy most of the time: just install another genuine Mopar starter. Doing that is the best option for your make and model, as your OEM designs starters that work specifically with it right off the line. Our auto parts counter has a catalog full, and you can buy from it right here online. Just browse by model to make sure you get the proper fit. We'll ship what you order immediately, right to your door.
No results found for "starters". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!